When designing a room for a client or re-doing a room in our own home my first and largest challenge is staying on budget. Some creative ways I stay on budget when picking decor are:
- Shopping online to get the best price ( a few of my favourite cost effective decor stores online are Wayfair, Rugs USA, Joss and Main and Etsy)
- Mix and Match high and low. In our home most of our decor is from Ikea and Homsense or Homegoods but I purchased a few higher end items such as our dining room table chairs and bar stools from Restoration Hardware, to keep the look from becoming “cheap” for lack of a better word.
- Make your own wall art or shop Etsy for small business that are unique and usually more cost effective.
- Try a DIY project like this super simple and affordable coffee table we made that’s similar to a $1000 Restoration Hardware coffee table but cost us under $200
- And for my new favourite way to stay on budget, the itsums website. This website is genius. It is my new favourite way to organize and STAY ON BUDGET when designing for clients and for myself.The best thing is it can be used for anything from interior design plans for a room, a party you are throwing or planning a wedding! The ways to stay organized and on budget are endless and it is so easy to use!
Myself and some other amazing bloggers were challenged to create a design board for a room using itsums, and keep the budget under $2500. Using itsums made this so easy and kept me organized while also staying on budget and creating a beautiful design board so I could stay on track with where my vision was going.
Itsums is super simple. All you need to do is sign up and follow the instructions on how to start pinning items from your favourite websites to your board, stay on budget and create a beautiful room.
It allows you to create categories so you know where your money is going. I like to save on bedding and wall decor so I can splurge on furniture and accent pieces. I stayed well under my budget to create this beautiful neutral nursery, when designing rooms I always leave some wiggle room as sure enough something will pop up that ends up costing more etc. and I always recommend doing the same when budgeting for your own design project. When designing a room it’s so easy to forget about hidden costs that maybe aren’t so pretty but are very important like mattresses and storage so don’t forget to add those hidden items when creating your board.
Head over here to check out the itsums website . Also when you sign up on itsums you are auotmatically entered to win a $150.00 gift certificate to be used at Pottery Barn Kids. To sign up click here, to check out my full Kids Room Challenge Design Board Click here.
To Check out the challenge by these other amazing bloggers click on their links
- The Kiwi in the clouds| Making it in the Mountains|Rae Ann Kelly|Fresh Crush
- Design Post Interiors|Brepurposed|Simple Stylings|Claire Brody Designs
This post brought to you in partnership with itsums